Friday 18 May 2012

Pulborough brooks, 6th May

Whilst visiting relatives in West Sussex, Carol and I decided to visit Pulborough brooks RSPB in West Sussex. The weather was very unseasonal, cool, cloudy and drizzly, but as we only had this day free in our hectic schedule we would have to grin and bear it!!
We had our matching anoraks to keep us dry, and I was trying my best to keep my camera under my jacket but still available in case a quick shot was needed!!
The house martins were flying around us as we squelched along the footpaths. They had no fear of us, and despite the miserable weather our spirits were lifted by their acrobatics. They were only a few feet away, could have grabbed one if I was quick enough, what an experience
I was watching swallows and house martins on the edge of a field when a damp little bird landed on a barbed wire fence about 10 feet from me, what luck!! Managed to fire off quite a few shots before he departed. The background couldnt have been better, and despite the lack of light I was really pleased with my pics....
A family of long tailed tits huddled together in the trees...
The aforementioned house martins were congregating in one particular tree. From underneath I counted around 50+ .....
We moved onwards and decided to head back to the cafe for a hot drink... as luck would have it two more house martins landed nearby, and very happily posed for me, despite the drizzle ....

We heard the beautiful sound of a nightingale, my first ever, but I only managed this poor record shot....
Finally we made it to the cafe, where we watched the birds on the feeders... Suddenly I spotted this bird, but wasnt immediately sure wether it was a marsh tit or a willow tit.....but snapped a record shot anyway ....
Thanks to my friends at "Wild about britain", I am reliably informed it is almost certainly a marsh tit.
Unfortunately the little devil wouldnt sing for me, which might have helped!!
However, a couple of new lifers for me on this day, so a good result.... and some lovely sightings of the beautiful house martins... Luv nature!!!




5 comments:

  1. Hi Dave. I'm delighted to see you had a good day at Pulborough and despite the conditions came away with some super shots of the Swallows and Martins. It is definitely a great location to see and hear the Nightingales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb photos, Dave - and what a sight, seeing all those house martins together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The days we don't expect much are often the most rewarding. The House Martins are so cute! Lovely pics, again. Liking the idea of a hot drink in a cafe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Frank,
    Would love to go to Pulborough again soon, maybe the sun will shine next time?
    Cheers Rob, Its funny how such a miserable day can still bring its rewards (Pinched Omi's words there!!)
    Thanks Omi, yes those house martins were gorgeous, they certainly made my day, getting up close to them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting discussion is worth comment. There’s no doubt that that you should write more on this topic, it may not be a taboo matter but generally people do not speak about these subjects. To the next! Cheers!!

    - Mechanical Broom | Vacuum dewatering | Portable Concrete Plant

    ReplyDelete